Ontario International Airport stated (14-Jan-2021) its passenger operations "fared significantly better than most airports in California and across the world" in 2020. Domestic passenger numbers decreased 53% year-on-year and international traffic decreased 68%, compared to projections of a global drop in air passenger volumes of 60%. Ontario International Airport Authority CEO Mark Thorpe said: "Despite the challenging passenger numbers for 2020, several airline partners restarted service to popular destinations in the second half of the year and announced additional routes for the first half of 2021". [more - original PR]
As the industry prepares for the arrival of newly announced vaccines for the COVID-19 virus, it is clear the impact for travel and aviation will be significant. Not only is there a rush to understand how these will be distributed around the world in the next 12 months but also an understanding of the industry once it is widely available.
- How do you plan for something that is on a scale like never before?
- What are the expectations around what proportion of distribution will be by air vs other surface modes?
- Refrigeration is one challenge. What are the other special features around distributing the vaccines globally?
- What are the realistic timeframes for delivering across the world?
- There are large rewards for airlines who get it right. How stiff is the competition between airlines/how much coordination or cooperation?
Airports Council International – North America (ACI-NA) forecast (14-Jan-2021) US airports will lose at least USD17 billion between Apr-2021 and Mar-2022 due to a prolonged decline in commercial aviation traffic. The losses are in addition to around USD23 billion that US airports are expected to lose between Mar-2020 and Mar-2021. [more - original PR]
EgyptAir, via its official Facebook account, announced (14-Jan-2021) plans to commence daily Cairo-Doha service on 18-Jan-2021. The airline will operate the service with the "latest types of aircraft". Chairman and CEO Mohamed Roshdy Zakaria said the airline may increase frequency to twice daily depending on demand (Anadolu Agency/Arabian Business/Bloomberg, 13/14-Jan-2021).
Air Senegal and Dakar Blaise Diagne International Airport signed (30-Dec-2020) a MoU on 29-Dec-2020 for the establishment of an aeronautical maintenance centre at the airport. The proposed facility will provide MRO services for local, regional and international customers. [more - original PR - French]
Delta Air Lines announced (14-Jan-2021) it implemented the following measures to mitigate COVID-19 impacts:
- Completed over USD25 billion in financing transactions in 2020, including USD9 billion SkyMiles financing;
- Received USD5.6 billion in payroll support programme proceeds through the CARES Act, with USD4 billion in grant funds, USD1.6 billion in low interest rate loans and issuance of warrants for over 6.7 million shares;
- Restructured aircraft order book, reducing aircraft purchase commitments by USD2 billion in 2020 and USD5 billion through 2022;
- Accelerated fleet simplification strategy with 227 aircraft retirements in 2020, reducing the number of fleet families from 13 to 11. The carrier anticipates the cumulative retirement of around 400 aircraft through 2025, further simplifying fleet families down to nine;
- Reduced total adjusted operating expense by 40%, with a nearly 50% or greater reduction in 2/3/4Q2020. [more - original PR]
Want More News Like This?
- If the first two decades of the century were transformational for the aviation industry, the 2020s will be revolutionary.