airBaltic is the Latvian national carrier (80% state ownership) and a hybrid LCC. It is the first national flag carrier airline to market itself as an LCC. The carrier is based in the Latvian capital Riga and also operates bases in the other Baltic capitals of Vilnius (Lithuania) and Tallinn (Estonia). The airline has also moved away from offering mostly point-to-point services in the Baltic region, and now pursues a network strategy, with Riga International the main hub. Until Jan-2009, airBaltic was 47.2% owned by Scandinavian flag SAS, which Air Baltic Corporation purchased. airBaltic maintains close links with SAS, operating frequent services to the latter's hubs in Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm thereby operating a ‘dual hub’ system with Riga. The airline operates scheduled services to destinations in Europe, the Middle East and the CIS. Following a share capital increase, the Latvian State holds an 80% in airBaltic, with the remaining stake of approximately 20% owned by Aircraft Leasing 1 SIA (which is owned by Danish entrepreneur Lars Thuesen). airBaltic is the launch customer of the Airbus A220-300.
On 07-May-2020, Latvia's Cabinet of Ministers approved investment of up to EUR250 million into airBaltic's equity, to support the company in overcoming the economic crisis caused by COVID-19. Latvian state's shareholding in airBaltic will increase from 80.05% to 91%.
On 05-Nov-2020, airBaltic registered a company in Lithuania. airBaltic holds a 96.1% stake in the company. The carrier plans to operate to eight destinations from Lithuania including Amsterdam, Berlin, Kiev, London, Munich, Oslo and Paris.
CAPA Profiles help you identify new business opportunities and make better business decisions, by providing accurate and up-to-date data on airports, airlines, suppliers, investors, MROs, lessors and countries/territories around the world. Each profile offers comprehensive news and analysis, as well as the ability to drill down into data on schedules, capacity share, fleet, traffic, financial results and more.Become a CAPA Member
Our full profiles are only available to CAPA Members. CAPA Membership provides exclusive access to the information you need to monitor the competitive landscape and guide your organisation towards success.
It’s ideal for industry analysts, managers and executives who need a snapshot of the latest news, analysis and data from our global team, with the ability to export or email PDF reports in one click.
- 5000+ airports
- 3000+ airlines
- 1600+ suppliers
- 800+ airport investors
- 250+ countries/territories and regions
- And more
CAPA Membership also gives you access to a customised selection of more than 1,000 global News Briefs every week, as well as a comprehensive Data Centre, Analysis Reports and Research Publications. You can also choose from our range of premium add-ons, including Route Maps, Fleet Data and more.